3.8.08

Athens: Home of the Dawgs, REM, Hodgson's.....and my best friends in the whole world.

So I might be making a big assumption in thinking that people will read this, but to all my Athens-folk: This is for you. This is my tribute to the Classic City, Athens, GA.

As I left Athens officially today, I rode out of town with a plethora of memories, adventures, and faces in my rearview mirror. It is a very interesting thing, leaving the place that has had such an impact in shaping who I have become. I said "see you soon" to some friends, which is hard enough in itself. Perhaps harder is thinking that I won't be around town come football season, when the streets become seas of red and black, and everyone is linked by the perceived divine knowledge that we all hail from Bulldog Nation. I won't be around for the first crimson leaves to fall, nor will I shiver on cold mornings, only to later peel off layers in the heat of the Indian summer afternoon. I won't be around when Downtown is covered in lights at Christmas, and I'll miss sitting outside Starbucks on cool Spring mornings, in anticipation of the arrival of blooms (and the not-so-fun pollen). Clocked will miss my business, and the trees on North Campus will miss me climbing them. :)

There are so many good things about Athens. The people, the places, the streets, the sounds, and the smells (even "poop-on-the-loop") have so defined the last four years of my life. It has truly become my home here on earth. Here's the thing. As difficult as it is to say goodbye to this earthly home, I have a place that is being prepared for my arrival, and I am so excited. God is preparing hearts and minds in Peru, and He is going to create a new place there for me, filled with opportunities to make new memories. 

So to all my friends in Athens, I just want to say I love you. I love the city, but I love you even more. Thanks for your prayers, your love, your encouragement, your tears, your laughter, your adventurous spirits, your craziness, your joy, and so many other things. We have some good stories; I can't wait to hear about new stories while I'm away. 

One day, sometime in the future, I'll walk the sidewalks of Downtown Athens and venture under the Arch again. And I'll be once more in my old stomping grounds, in MY town, where God blessed me with fun times and beautiful friendships. 

One more thing: Go Dawgs! Sic em'!




No comments:

.