11.3.10

preparation.

I never thought I'd share this with the internet world. The thing is, I'm currently writing like a crazy woman, and I think this poem will not only help me craft the words that will be coming to you shortly, but it will also give you a glimpse into the emotion I'm feeling.

I wrote this for a class I took my senior year of college (spring 2008, now about two years ago). I loved that class (shout out to my prof, Greg McClure), and writing an "I Am" poem was one of my favorite assignments.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am Sarah Junco.
I am from my mother and my father,
from the rolling hills of the South and the dense jungles del caribe.
I am the red clay under my fingernails.
I am honeysuckle summer sweetness dissolving on my tongue.
I am fireflies squished in my hand,
accidentally, of course.
I am in the dusk, and it in me,
riding bikes up and down streets for hours.
I am splashing in puddles after the rain.
I am five-cent lemonade on the corner.
I am summer water and fall mountain mist,
the sound and sight ever with me.
I am sweet tea y cafe con leche, collards and arroz con pollo.
I am chocolate anything.
I am "Iced Venti Americano, Unsweetened, please."
I am mama's spaghetti, the best thing she makes.
I am my father's daughter, cereal as midnight snacks.
Yo soy una mujer, una hija, una hermana, una nieta,
who has orgullo to be una Americana, pero tambien,
Yo soy una mezcla.
I am a wanna-be 'hippie,' and too-easily influenced by fads.
I am, and always will be, friend to dogs, suspicious of cats.
I am a Bulldog, bleeding red and black forever.
I am blessed with big dreams: Some faded, not failed, some yet to pass.
I am filled with the music of generations, always eclectic.
I am dew drops, skin-settling on early Athens' mornings.
I am dust collecting on the bookshelves, surrounded by friends.
I am ink in my veins.
I am from the I AM.
I am a Follower of Jesus Christ.
"I am making all things new," He says.
I am newly born, newly made, a new creation:
I am free.
I am for a reason, and
I am just beginning.

No comments:

.