31.1.10

Newspapers

In hopes of lightening the mood of my blog world (it's been kinda....serious, lately), I've decided to give you some insight into a few funny and random (and here's hoping entertaining) cultural differences between Peru and the United States.

My source of inspiration has come from my current "roomie" Marta. She is Peruvian (though she has had a lot of experience with silly gringos), and she has been staying with me this month while she is taking a summer course at her university in Arequipa. It's been a lot of fun and very enlightening, to say the least. I've thoroughly enjoyed the company, and as the days go on, there are always little things that continue to surprise me concerning cultural differences.

So here you go, story number one. I'm going to try to narrate it as best as possible. Be on the lookout for future posts about the goings-on of the locas (crazy girls) in the bi-cultural apartment in southern Peru.

The scene: Jesus (our Peruvian friend, not the Christ), Marta, and I are watching some random movie called "All About Steve," with Sandra Bullock. Side note: I do not recommend this movie. I think there were MAYBE two funny parts. Sandy, not your best work.

Anyway, a character in the movie is walking down the sidewalk and puts a quarter into those antique-looking things you then open and take a newspaper out of. You know, very 1993. I can't even remember what they're called....but you know what I mean, I hope.

Marta sees this, sits up, and asks me what this contraption is. I explain that you pay for a newspaper, open the little door-thingy and take it out. She has this look on her face of absolute astonishment. I'm laughing already because I know what's coming next: "Pero solo sacas uno?" "But you only take one?"

"Yes, yes," I reply..."solo uno." She continues in this mode of disbelief and I'm forced to pause the movie. At this point I'm prepared to explain our random North American custom, while also realizing that I've never thought about the point she is about to make.

Marta: "But do people actually take just ONE newspaper????

Me: "Yes...I mean, normal people do. You pay for one, you take one.

Marta: "Yeah, but do people really JUST take one????

Me: "Si pues, chica....why would you want to take more than one?

The million dollar question: "Why would you want to take more than one?" Marta and Jesus are laughing hysterically at this idea of being able to open a box after inserting a coin and taking just ONE newspaper. I'm in awe over their awe. And the explanations ensue.

Reason #1 as to WHY Peruvians would want to take more than one newspaper: Peruvians would insert the coin and take all of the newspapers and go house to house and distribute them to their friends.

Reason #2: Peruvians would take all the newspapers and sell them on the street.

Reason #3: Peruvians would take all the newspapers and use them for "useful things," ie covering the sidewalks when you're painting a building.

Reason #4: Peruvians would take all the newspapers "solo por gusto" ("just because"). “Segun nosotros mas es mejor," says Marta ("according to us, more is better").

There you have it. The top four things Peruvians would do with all the newspapers they can get. Needless to say, this was a very entertaining conversation. More to come, I'm writing things down as they occur due to my faltering memory.

No comments:

.