25.12.08

Nochebuena.

Alo from Arequipa. I'm currently getting snuggled up in my bed--the bed is a story for another post--listening to the remains of Christmas Eve in Arequipa. Needless to say, I did not know what I was in for when I committed to go to the home of a Peruvian. It's 1:57 and people are still going strong outside. To make a long story short, because I'm very tired, Christmas Eve is THE thing in Peru. Therefore, everyone gets their party on at midnight on Christmas Eve, after having had a big meal involving turkey. 

I'll explain more about tonight at a later date, when I can collect my thoughts. Let's just say that I experienced more fireworks tonight than I have ever seen at any Fourth of July event in the States. The whole evening was really interesting, but it was just so funny to observe the cultural differences surrounding holidays. 

Merry Christmas. Que tengas una feliz navidad. In the last two days I've gone to two Christmas programs and have been blessed by the reminder that Christmas is about celebrating Jesus every day of the year. Remembering His birth is wonderful, but then we must act on Who we know and Who knows us--the Good Shepherd. I am doing surprisingly well here during this time of the year, to the glory of God. I do miss family and friends, but He is all I need. May you be reminded today as you celebrate, as well as in the days to come, that Jesus es el Rey, el Salvador (Jesus is the King, the Savior).

More stories to come, and I'll expound on my Peruvian Christmas. Much love. Cuidate.

No comments:

.