3.12.08

Beautiful days, park naps, celebrating friends, invitations, and moving on.

Today has been a good day. Despite this seemingly never-ending feeling of being unsettled, I know things are about to change. We are moving into the new apartment soon, Lord willing. I've just been bumming around the city, enjoying the day. It's ironic that in Arequipa one can say "It's a beautiful day." This really doesn't mean much, it's 70 degrees and sunny every day. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the day in a small park with some friends. I just love lounging in the parks around here, doing nothing. 

I'm still doing really well here. I've hit the one month mark of being in Arequipa, and I still love it. There is this strange feeling of still trying to get settled in. I consider this my home, but until I am IN my new house, I don't think I'll feel at home. Classes are going well, and I'm making friends with my students. As Christmas approaches, pray that I am able to really share with them the message of Christ. Speaking of Christmas, I have been invited to a Peruvian Christmas Extravaganza! I've been praying this would happen, and indeed it has. Mercederes, a new friend and owner of a cafe I have found, invited me to come. I'm so excited! I'll also spend some of Christmas with an American family here.

Tonight we are going to be having a Peruvian Italian dinner to say goodbye to Kathryn. She is heading back to the States for a bit before she gets married. I am very blessed to be surrounded by friends here and am in awe of all God has done. I remember being so concerned about not having any American friends in Arequipa. God has exceeded my expectations in providing American friends, Peruvian friends, English friends, and even German and Australian friends. 

Okay, some stories, per the request of my mother. :)

-I was in Lima for Thanksgiving. A much better trip than anticipated, though now I have to go back soon because my Visa stuff wasn't quite ready. I can tell I would enjoy Lima a lot more in the summertime. AND I got to eat good food that I can't eat in AQP. Also, it was so interesting observing the differences between Limenos and Arequipenans. Let's just say I am an AQP hippie and was very out of place in business-like Lima.
-Peruvians have a very different mindset about what it is to hang out for a holiday. At Thanksgiving, we had about 40 Americans, all who ate and hung out for a couple hours, then ran out. We had one Peruvian family who showed up late and then stayed until 8:30 or so. I had a blast with them, they were so great! I was just tickled at the cultural differences. 
-Last weekend we went to an orphanage. I had so much fun. Those kids are beautiful, and I was blessed by them. Raquel and I sang every Spanish Worship song we could think of. 
-I have become pretty good at a card game called Nertz. If you know me, you know I'm not much of a card player, but I love this game. I still can't shuffle to save my life. I'm waiting to learn from a pro, though. 
-I have become addicted to fresh squeezed Orange Juice, or "Zumo de Naranja" aca. It's so good. 
-I want to find the movie Elf. This has become a huge quest. I can't find it anywhere in AQP, so I might have to wait until I go back to Lima. I'm currently experiencing Christmas fever and gravitate to anything Christmas-y in this "Summer of Christmas." It's so strange seeing beach equipment next to Christmas decor in the department store.
-Speaking of Christmas, it's coming to AQP! They just put the tree up in the Plaza and I am curious to see if they'll actually light it up. It's huge!
-The other day, I fell and busted my butt. I mean, I bruised my tailbone something awful. It was bound to come. I've been limping around, to say the least. 
-I almost bought a dog. I decided not to, it wasn't overly cute. But I do want to get one someday. 

Well, these stories don't seem to be too exciting. Sorry. :) I'll try to be more entertaining for the next post. 

Happy December. Much love.
 


No comments:

.