1.10.10

"October Poem"

Today I want a sunset over the Pacific.
I want the lighthouse
and the stroll through curved landscape,
turning corners, hoping for the sun to
display itself in magnificence.

I miss the slowness of it-
the way it comes down, tinting
clouds pink and yellow and orange.
In loneliness, a good sunset calms a soul.

The sea below contrasts the slow setting sapphire
as it rushes into rocky beach,
sands peppered with sharp objects
that make it nearly impossible to walk barefoot.

But no mind-I miss that too.
Amongst the joy of sunset, I miss the pain inflicted
in walking on rocks, edges piercing into skin
like sharp arrows bursting into every cell of the body.

Contradiction:
Pain and enjoyment.
Visual pleasure and physical discomfort.
The beauty of life, of another day done,
overcomes the momentary hurt.

I'd do it all again.

No comments:

.